Monday, July 27, 2015

False Summits

False Summits

Near Mt Shasta is an ancient cinder cone called Black Butte.
One spring I climbed to the top to see what I could see.  
Around and around the volcano I went as I spiraled upwards. After a little more than an hour, I came around a bend and saw what I thought was the top of the mountain. Once I got closer, I realized I wasn’t even a third of the way there!
The next hour of hiking passed with the sun bearing down and the scree more difficult to navigate.
Soon I was sure I was at the top, but it was a second false summit.
I kept on hiking.
3 hours later I arrived at the topmost point of the butte.
The view was stupendous.

So what did I learn? Often I think I’m at the end of a trial or ordeal but God says there’s farther to go with more to learn and more suffering for a little while. I have to keep going staying expectant in prayer.  I must not stop mid climb thinking I’ve arrived or done enough because the view from the true top of the mountain is so worth the climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment